8.02.2009

Inspiration: Etc. Wallpaper

I remember way back when a family friend's half bath downstairs was wallpapered in old newspaper.  Then, I was probably five or six, but this first introduction to innovative interior design has stuck with me sense.  It has always been a dream of mine to have nautical charts as wallpaper in the bathroom.  So, here are a few photos I have compiled for you:

Photobucket
source
I love how sea farer this is, classically nautical with a flavor of the rugid realism.  Looking at this photograph, the room full of the muted worn colors, tricks my nose into smelling the salt.

Photobucket
source
This is a little bit more childlike play on the nautical theme.  The tones seem appropriatly boyish, while giving him room for growth along with the room.

Photobucket
source
A sure talking point.  Without much furnishings, the owners of the home let the wall do the talking while playing up the age of the space.

Photobucket
source
Simple and iconic.  The wall doesn't overpower the space, but gives it dimension a plain wall wouldn't have done.

Photobucket
source
The dictionary pages, all the same size, are still a bit charted, like the previous one, only they are a bit more clustered.  This wallpaper would go great in a study or home library.

Photobucket
source
I adore the room for breathing in this room.  It is light and airy.  Who says wallpaper has to be stuffy?

Photobucket
source
Interesting, and urban.  I like the varience the newspaper gives the otherwise structered space.


Ciao!
Abbie

6 comments:

I V Y said...

lovely pics.

nycrun said...

very chic
http://nycrunfashion.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Alternate wall covering have always intrigued me ....although that picture with all the book pages makes me a little ill ...it's blasphemy to rip pages from a book!
Oh and Abbie, I'm getting in touch with everyone on my blogroll to help me with a new Discover the Undiscovered Blogs project I'm trying to kick start!
Let's Hear It For The Little People!!lol!
Info is here: http://chicknamedhermia.wordpress.com/2009/08/03/discovering-the-undiscovered/
...so please do help!

Abbie Lee said...

Yeah, I can see the frustration. Like, it always makes me mad when I see jewelry with typewriter keys as charms. To make me feel better, I tell myself the typewriter was a bad one.

That never works.

alissa said...

i once saw a room wallpapered with sewing patterns- so thin and delicate so you could see through them where they were layered. still love that idea

Abbie Lee said...

Oh, wow that sounds awesome. I should do that to my future sewing room.